A few info:
– 4 million tonnes of aluminium is produced annually
– the production of aluminium disrupts the landscape where bauxite ore is mined, consumes large amounts of electricity and produces waste.
– More than 75% of all the aluminium ever produced is still in use
– In the UK 51,000 tonnes of which ends up as packaging If all cans in the UK were recycled, we would need 14 million fewer dustbins.
– £36,000,000 worth of aluminium is thrown away each year.
We are not condamning aluminium itself, also because it can be 100% recycled, and its use in the automotive industry can help reduce the oil consumption and CO2 emissions. But we would like to point out that consumers must understand that their refusal to recycle aluminium cans impact negatively the environment and create great social costs.
Retailers first should have to explain to their customers the added value in purchasing recycled aluminium packaged goods and/or offer alternatives to the traditional aluminium can.
Right now, the only product we found are these PLA Studio’s biodegradable Tin Cans, whose price does not make them suitable for nowadays industry use, but we are sure that in the future they will. (Photo courtesy of PLA Studio)